St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
A call was extended to the Rev. C.H. Lueker of Cape Giradeau, Mo. He
accepted the call and became the first resident pastor of St. John's in
1869. The congregation built him a two-room log parsonage which was
also used for church services. Pastor Lueker served the church for 19
The present stone parsonage was built in 1881 at the cost of $1,300.
The rock for the parsonage was quarried and hauled from a place near the
Marion/Dickenson county line. Whe it was completed in 1881, the old
two-room log parsonage was converted into a school.
In 1889, the Rev. Otto Mencke received and accepted a call from St.
John's. He was installed on April 2. A new school house, which is the
present one, was built the following year.
Click here to return to St. John's home page