Page under construction -there's  more to come... Please visit again soon.

 

The Herington Historical Society & Museum was chartered on March 25th, 1975. Herington postmaster George W. Kohls envisioned a museum to house a collection of artifacts pertaining to the history of Herington and it's surrounding communities. Since the basement of the Herington Post Office was a seldom used area, Mr. Kohls obtained agreement for the museum collection to be housed there until funds for a suitable Museum building could be secured. A building fund was established and on September 1984, through contributions from local citizens and organizations, the new museum building on 800 South Broadway was dedicated.  Today, the museum is home to thousands of artifacts, exhibits, and photographs pertaining to Herington and Southeast Dickinson County.  A stonework in the front of the museum contains all that remains of the historic Rock Island Depot and the benchmark or brass medallion that was placed at the depot when it was placed on the Kansas State Register of Historic Places..

 

Dr. Anna Domann Anderson was born in 1878 in Prussia.  At 15 months of age, she contracted spinal meningitis which left her blind.  She came to the United States in 1883 with her parents who settled on a farm 4 miles northwest of Herington.  She attended the State School for the Blind in Kansas City, KS and the American School of Osteopathy in Missouri.  She married to Bertram Anderson in 1907 and returned to Herington to operate the Herington Sanitarium at 15 East Walnut.  This sign hung outside the Herington Sanitarium on East Walnut Street.
Margaret Ellen Sheehan Turcott graduated from the Nursing School at St. Francis Hospital in Wichita, KS on May 1, 1923.  She married to Ancel Turcott on February 7, 1925.  Her nursing career as School Nurse at Herington schools spanned nearly 50 years and generations of school children remember Mrs. Turcott as their school nurse.  In 1974 she was named Herington Senior Citizen of the year.  The nurses uniform and cap belonged to Mrs. Turcott.

Sign from Knuth's Drug Store.  Paul Herman Knuth and Frank K. Smith, who owned the Smith-Knuth drug store in Abilene, came to Herington in June of 1908 and purchased the old Kandt drug store on Broadway. They later opened a Smith-Knuth drug store in Manhattan.  In 1912, Smith and Knuth dissolved their partnership and Smith became proprietor of the store in Manhattan and Knuth became proprietor of the store in Herington.

Daniel J. Peterson was born in the small town of Atlanta, KS on Christmas Day, 1888.  He attended college at Emporia where he met his wife, Georgia E. Snyder Peterson.  He served in World War I, came to Herington after the war in 1919 and opened his medical practice there.  Dr. Peterson lived at 410 South A street.  For many years, his office was located in the upper story of the George W. Murray building on East Main street.